Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why is Change so Difficult?

Recently, or at least fairly recently, ok a few years ago, our garbage service switched to the larger trash receptors to eliminate the need to handle them by an individual, apparently reducing costs for the company. They were kind enough to give us one.

Now, what do we do with the old ones?  We had recently replaced our old cans with ones that had wheels.  So we decided to use them for yard waste. In our state it’s illegal to put yard waste in landfills.  So we threw out the old yard waste cans. I wonder how many landfills it took to hold old trash cans in the United States for the switch to these new ones?
This new trash container was so large it didn’t fit in the garage where the old cans went and we would have to remove a car to get it out.  It's against the rules in our neighborhood to have garbage cans in view from the street.

We all hate change. Granted it is a part of our lives, and change normally is a good thing but this change I was having a problem with. I was very comfortable with the old system, even though it occasionally required multiple garbage cans and multiple trips to the curb.
Now we needed to find another location. A simple solution was to put it on the patio near the sliding door. The little step provided a nice lift for me to get the garbage in the can (you need to be 6 feet tall to comfortably put garbage in these larger cans, which I’m not.)

And there was a sidewalk leading to the curb. Perfect, except when you are sitting outside you are with the garbage.
Recently I decided I didn’t want it on the patio during the summer when we do a lot of entertaining outside. I must say, having the trash can on the patio makes cleanup a lot easier.

Ok, now where to put it in the summer? There’s a nice spot out back on the other side of the house, out of view from the street. During the summer we can wheel it on the grass to the curb and it fits nicely between shrubs out of view.
It’s not bad taking the hike to get rid of the garbage, except when it’s raining, or when there’s quite a bit to take out. This week I was lazy and put non-garbage stuff in the garage so today I decided to empty all of the waste baskets and take the stuff from the garage to the can. It was quite a journey which involved multiple trips.

BH used to take care of the garbage. But…occasionally, mind you not very often, he would leave for work and forget to take it to the curb, especially if it was after a holiday when it’s picked up a day late. So being the nice person I am, I suggested that I take on that responsibility.
When I moved the garbage can out back, he kindly reminded me that it was my responsibility to take care of the garbage. He wouldn’t mind helping if the can was closer.

When I was done taking all of the garbage out, and returned home at a lengthy absence, he was laughing at me. “Why didn’t you move the can closer to the house then move it back when you were done?” “Why, and miss out on all that exercise?”, I responded, wondering why I didn’t think of that?
Maybe a nice cozy cover for the garbage can, so it can return back to its home? We have covers for the lawn furniture; I wonder where I can find one for the can?

No comments:

Post a Comment