Monday, July 2, 2012

A Heart in Sorrow

I am heart sick . . I can’t eat, can hardly sleep. I received bad news last week and there isn’t anything I can do about it. And no, it isn’t going to a cottage and it doesn’t involve BH. :)

We all experience this now and then. It’s hard going through it. It takes time, and time seems to move slowly when this happens.
But I’m reminded of what Mama told me years ago. We will experience grief throughout our lives.

Grief comes in many forms. The death of a loved one;  a mistake made that can’t be taken back; a dear friend that decides to part ways; words that escape that afterwards are regretted; a thought that wasn’t follow through and now it’s too late to act on it; an idea or dream that cannot be fulfilled.
Sometimes it’s serious, and sometimes it’s silly to others. But still you feel devastated by it.

Mama told me there are two options, be sad, angry, bitter, regretful, miserable for something that can’t be change, or grieve for a short while, accept what has happened, or learn from it but then have a funeral.
Bury whatever it is. Bury it deep. Bury it 6 feet under the ground. Deep enough that it will have a very hard time surfacing. Deep enough that it’s hard to get to easily.

Then have a wake. Rejoice at the good times experienced before and rejoice for the wonderful experiences in the future. And most important move on.
I’m not ready for the funeral, but have started preparing for the burial.

Dear friends, I hope if you are going through something similar, Mama’s wisdom helps you as much as it has helped me in the past. We will get through it day by day.
This past weekend I put my sorrow aside and enjoyed time with dear long-time friends and BH. Today I will take another walk along the river, work and keep my mind on other things. Tomorrow I might grieve some more. <3 Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment