Tuesday, July 3, 2012

An Adventure to Remember


This morning I awoke with the desire to have an adventure. Every day is an adventure to me, but I wanted to plan this one.

I quickly put in a few hours of work, fixed breakfast for BH, sent him off to work and tweeted to a new friend. Wrote a blog posting about a conversation I had this morning with BH and started tiding up planning what I would to do today.
I remembered this park in a nearby town that’s along a river. A friend works in the area that I haven’t seen for a while as well as my favorite Chinese restaurant. This adventure could end up being a combination of three wonderful events that on their own would be quite delightful.

I gave her a call to see if she wanted to have lunch and she was so excited I had called. We planned to meet at the Chinese restaurant, which was also her favorite, early to avoid the lunchtime rush.
On the way I ran a few errands.

With the Fourth of July just days away we needed a new flag. We actually needed it for Memorial Day and Flag Day but I was unable to find the one I wanted. I ran in and purchased one and few other items then made my way to return a pair of cute shoes I had purchased that didn’t fit. Those of you reading this consider yourself fortunate if you wear a M (medium) width shoe. You have such a large selection to choose from. Those of you like me who wear a S (slim) or N (narrow) you know what I’m talking about.
I digress…

I met my friend at the restaurant and we caught up on the latest news and reminisced about the past enjoying each other’s company and promising not to wait so long to do it again.
Full, happy and satisfied I made my way to the park by the river. Only seeing it in the past from the road I was unfamiliar with its layout. So camera in hand I venture out.

When I left home it was hazy and cloudy which I knew would lower the quality of the photos. By now the cloud layer was thinning and there was full sun but still hazy. No blue sky but plenty of sun. I said a quick prayer that I would capture at least one acceptable photo from this outing to include in this blog posting, I configured the camera to the best setting possible and started taking photos making needed adjustments to the camera before each photo.
I made my way through the picnic area and playground to the river where I met a woman with snow white hair moving to a new location. She was carrying a tackle box and two poles. I looked around the corner but didn’t see a companion and wondered how she could manage both poles. We talked briefly and I found out the fishing hadn't be good so far today.

This area of the river was unnavigable, containing thick brush along the shore and not very picturesque.
The temperature has increased since the time I left home and the humidity and dew point were obviously high making it uncomfortable. But, I was determined to get one photo and enjoy the outing so onward I went.

As I continued walking I came upon a foot bridge to the other side of the river and could see a man, much younger than the woman, in the distance fishing, Beyond that I could see another bridge. Instead of crossing the river I continued along the bank hoping to capture one good photo.

While walking a large fish jumped out of the water. I wanted to yell "They're over here." to the two fishing, but decided against it since they were too far away. The path turned into a road with the river obscured from view. Thinking I would eventually find the river again or the other bridge I continued.
I came upon a large gravel parking lot with an activity field in the distance and continued walking along the edge until I reached a walking trail. Thinking this would lead me back to the river I took the trail without a map.

The trail was more like a hiking trail with steep downhill embankments.
Choosing my outfit for lunch I had decided to forego my walking shoes instead choosing tennis shoes with a thin sole not expecting ravines to navigate.

The trail had several forks without a map to give you a clue as to which one to take so I kept choosing the wider one which eventually led to an open fenced space. After submerging from the forest I had to choose right or left. Having no clue where I was and still without access to a map, I chose left hoping that was the direction I came from.

By now I am quite hot and still without a photo. I did find a large bird in the forest and zoomed in hoping I could crop and make it distinguishable.  Maybe that would be the photo?
The path along the fence had a chain across it making me wonder if this was a sign not to go that way. Ignoring the warning, I ducked under the chain and climbed a steep hill grateful to see the parking lot and activity field in the distance. As I was climbing this hill I thought about yesterday’s blog “Where The Heck Am I?” then started laughing. Was I going to have to title today’s the same? Laughing made the climb more exhausting.

Retracing my steps I continued until I came upon a picnic table at the bottom of a steep embankment that I had seen earlier down by the river. The river was obscured from view by brush.  I decided to venture down to the table for a break hoping my shoes wouldn’t slip out from beneath, landing me on my butt.

After safely reaching the picnic table I discovered it was covered with thick dust that had turned to mud and dried as a result of recent rain. Not wanting my freshly washed tan shorts dirty I decided not to sit down for a much need rest. Seeing another trail I was able to find a clearing and took a few photos of the river that I knew in advance I wouldn’t like.
Still hopeful to take an acceptable photo, I retrace my steps, climb the embankment and continued on with the expectation of reaching the bridge I had avoided earlier and crossing over to the other side.

Now I am extremely overheated since I don’t sweat but I am grateful that I am not exactly like my nephew who doesn't have sweat glands. No cooling water with me to help, I continued on.
Reaching the bridge, hot and exhausted, I decide to go home hoping one of the photos could be enhanced enough to include in this blog. After entering the car I grab what once was an ice cold bottle of water to try to cool down. I looked in the mirror and sure enough my face was bright red from heat.

On the way home I remembered the fun time and great food at lunch with my friend. I am truly blessed. I now have a fun story to share with you and BH and have an adventure to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment