Sunday, July 1, 2012

Three Words I Hate

Another blog posting from twitter.

Last week I tweeted about hating the words “some assembly required”.  Who came up with this notion? It probably was from the same people who came up with “self-serve”.

“Cost saving measures” “Product cost reduction” something like that. I see it differently.
“Consumer frustration”, “Consumer anxiety”, “Repetitive language abuse”, “Inferior end product”, “Upset spouse”...you get the picture.

Last week’s project involved assembling a 16” oscillating fan on a stand. Ours died last fall, so BH purchased a replacement for this season, just for me. Because he loves me! Unfortunately, he didn’t assemble it. It was still in the sealed box.
BH doesn’t understand why we need a fan, after all we have air conditioning.

I like windows open, he likes them closed.

He feels closed windows keep dust down with a less risk of allergy flare ups.
BH doesn’t care for the air flow of fans or the hum of a fan. But he doesn’t mind the motor noise from the air conditioner, the chilling effect followed by the overheated effect, or the electric bill.

On the other hand I love the gentle breeze of the fan and a constant cooling. I love the outdoors with its breeze, fresh air, and sunshine. I want inside to be as much like outside as much as possible. So I decided to assemble the fan!
It was a nice fan, black, round base, three speed control. Problem was I couldn’t even figure out how to get the pole into the base. Ok, let’s move on to getting the motor onto the fan blades. Nope looks like a missing part there too.

Solution…a trip to the store for a new fan. I found one that was white, didn't show the dust or fingerprints. I purchase it. Assembled it without any problem in just a matter of minutes. Works great, hardly any noise. $19.99. Bliss!
Problem… Didn’t buy a black one.

As I saw it from the instructions there were missing parts so I throw his in the trash! After all we can’t return it since it was purchased months ago. Garbage truck comes...fan is history.

Hubby comes home.
I’m so proud I assembled the fan! I have to show him…wrong.
He says, that’s not the fan I purchased (told you I should have bought a black one). I tell him his fan was missing parts so I helped him out by getting a new one and putting it together for him. He wants to see the one he purchased….you get the picture of where this ends up.

No proof of missing parts. He doesn’t like white fans. $59.99 in the trash! Silence at dinner.
TG he doesn’t have a temper and he loves me!!! Another topic to discuss with associates at the office. What would he do without me?

No comments:

Post a Comment