Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Coffee Maker that Will Not Die

Another posting from last week.

Technology is fascinating, wonderful, until...you can't remember a password

Why isn’t there a universal standard on logins and passwords so we can use the same one on all sites? I have so many different ones that it became so hard trying to remember them all that I now have a small spiral notebook to record them and wouldn't you know I forgot to write the one I need this morning in it.

“Okay, universe cough it up.”

I woke up early and needed to access my account on a website that I haven’t used for quite some time. I can’t remember the exact login format or even the password. After much frustration and retries — the system only allowed 5 so that really means 4 — I was able to get a new password sent to me. After entering the new password and accessing the site I was able to change the one sent to me for another this time writing the login and password into the notebook.

I continued working until BH got up and asked, "Did you make coffee?"

"Yes, I just made a fresh pot, just for you honey."

When I went into the kitchen to check on the coffee I noticed that the pot was empty. My first thought was it finally broke. I remembered putting grounds in the container and turning it on. On further examination I discovered the pot was hot. Darn, I forgot the water. It's a wonder it didn't explode. I must have been so wrapped up in the password dilemma and still laughing about the Breaking Bad's "The Fly" episode that I watched night before that I forgot to put in the water.

This coffee maker will not die! Good thing, right? It is very old; a hand-me-down from mom.

A couple of years ago I decided to get some new small appliances for the kitchen that I thought we needed. A large and small food processor, blender, toaster, stand and hand mixer, and a coffee maker; all made by KitchenAid.

They all looked so pretty and matched which was perfect for BH’s Type A personality…so I thought.

He started questioning me, ”What about the mixers in the cupboard? We have a perfectly good toaster and coffee maker.”

“But, these match and they’re new. Besides that coffee maker is very old and will die soon, as will the stand and hand mixer.” After all the hand and stand mixer came from mom that she got in the 70’s as well as the coffee maker from the 80’s.

Thank God, her blender died! They sure made things well back then. Every day this coffee maker is a reminder of that silly purchase. Should I just “shoot it, and be done with it?” Will he notice?

I think a trip to Salvation Army is in store for me in the near future.

Oh well, another topic for BH at the water cooler. What would he do without me?

No comments:

Post a Comment