Thursday, July 26, 2012

Be the Blessing

Last week I was working hard to finish the latest issue of WWMWD — Tips I Learned from a Spy, How to Get Out from "Under the Gun" so I would be ready to start this week's issue that involved the great killing of one of the long time cast members. I was wrapping up Part III of a four part issue. It was about Fi's time in prison dealing with a contract hit on her life. I was struggling with the edits.

This was only the second issue. The first issue How to Obtain "Hot Property" contained three parts. I had difficulty proofing Part II. Each time I came to this one line I would start crying. I am very emotionally involved with the series so the line was very personal to me. Now I was on Part III of the current issue and there were three sections that were causing me to cry. Each time I would make a pass through proofing the article the emotions became stronger.

After reading it through a couple of times I twitted about my difficulty and mentioned that I needed a hug. On the next reading I was still crying so decided to call BH. If I couldn't get a hug from BH at least maybe his voice would calm me down.

I don't like to call him at work, so rarely do so. In my opinion it doesn't look good for the boss or even an employee to be on the phone over something so trivial with his wife, besides I give him enough to talk about as it is.

So I wouldn't disturb him if he was with a client or in a meeting, I didn't call his cell, instead I called the office and got his secretary. I asked if he was available and she put me right through to him. And of course he was alarmed that something was wrong so I took advantage of the moment and told him about Fi, starting to cry all over again.

Fi was tired, she was scared, she wasn't eating well and someone was trying to kill her. He assured me she would be okay and it would work out. She and Michael would be together again. I could tell that he was chuckling under his breathe about his crazy wife and her Burn Notice.

Good news, he was closing the office early that afternoon, sending everyone home to enjoy the summer afternoon and get an early start on the weekend. He would be home shortly to give me my much needed hug.

Yesterday, I decided I would take my BH out to lunch, we hadn't done that for a while. I arrived a little early so I could say hi to everyone and deliver a big dish of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

I ran into Jim on my way to BH's office. Jim had invited us for dinner next weekend and I asked if he was sure we couldn't bring something. I told him we were looking forward to spending some time with him, his wife and family. He had his tablet in his hand, and said "Oh good, seeing you has reminded me I need to put something in my calendar." I was a little puzzled, but that's nothing new. He went on to say that he had to put a note to remind himself to put away their black fan before I came over. He didn't want a perfectly good fan to end up in the trash like ours did.

"Oh, you heard about that?" (If you are unfamiliar with this topic see "Three Words I Hate.) I looked at him oddly and wondered if he had heard about the Fi incident, but he didn't say anything more than to give me a wink and good bye as he made his way to his office.

I had been planning on telling BH about the spider, see (The Great Spider Incident of 2012), but thought maybe I should wait until he got home. Maybe by the next day he would forget about it and not tell everyone in the office.

I continued my way to his office, stopping to say hi to everyone and giving them cookies. His secretary greeted me and asked how I was and what was new. The spider incident immediately came to mind. Since it was close to lunch time, I thought maybe the subject might be inappropriate. So I told her, "Why spoil it for BH. I'm sure he keeps you informed." She nodded in agreement with a smile.

I hesitated for a moment, then asked her, "Did you hear about the black fan?" She nodded again and said, "Oh, yea. We heard about it."

This aroused my curiosity. "In a good way, or bad way. Is he mad about it?" Then, I quickly added before she had a chance to answer, "Never mind. Maybe I don't want to know." She answered anyway in a whisper, "I don't think he could ever be mad at you. He loves you so much." I smiled, and said, "Thank you, you've made my day."

I was reminded of a saying at the bottom of my friend's web site "To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."

You know, it's the little things that we say to one another that makes all the difference. Our words can either be a blessing or a curse. I'm glad she decided to be the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment