Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What a Tangled Web We Weave


Our mind is constantly thinking upon something and is never idle. The last two days my mind keeps drawn me back to Monday night’s episode of Fargo.

Jeffrey Donovan mentioned in interviews before the series began that his character Dodd wasn’t very bright (I don’t recall the actual words he used). It wasn’t until Monday night that I saw what he was referring to.

There are so many life lessons in the episode Loplop which reminds me that God is everywhere and in everything.
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse
We have a choice to just watch something on TV, then turn the channel or turn our set off and go about our life or we can take what God is showing us and learn from it.

It’s been my experience that God shows us things in advance so we can avoid pitfalls. Every regret that I have I was warned in advance.

Dodd in Fargo continued to make mistake after mistake by not controlling his mind, the words he spoke and turning his back on danger. He was so focused on revenge that he lost sight of reality and what was going on around him.

James tells us in Chapter 3 how the tongue works like a bridle or a rudder on a boat:
James 3:2
For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
Our words are powerful and set in motion the course of our life.

Proverbs 2:11 tells us:
Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
The word "discreet" means "Having or showing good judgment and self-restraint in speech or behavior; prudent". It's important for us to master discretion in what we say and do.

Also, what we magnify is more important than we realize. Dodd magnified on getting revenge on Ed, where his focus should have also been on Peggy. He put his back to the enemy. He didn’t see her as the threat she was. He didn’t subdue her completely since his attention was mainly focused on Ed. Then when his savior came he blasphemed him. He failed to rule his tongue and it killed him.

I see people blasphemy everyday not realizing what they are doing and bringing things upon themselves they do not wish to have.
Genesis 12:3
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;"
An worse yet, I see people often blaspheming the LORD, our Savior. The One who we need on our side at all times.

We see that as a common thread with Dodd through the series. He can’t see the big picture since he is too focused on the wrong things.

He isn’t unlike most of us. He is just an extreme example. I have been guilty of placing my attention and magnifying something so large that I’ve lost perspective of what I was doing and causing harm to myself as a result. I have allowed words to escape that I shouldn’t have entertained in my mind.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 12:34-35
Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
Dodd’s thoughts as well as the words he spoke from his heart brought forth evil against him.

God keeps reminding me that He is everywhere and in everything. If I think of the life lessons that God is trying to show me, like through these episodes, I can avoid the web of deception that satan wants to weave into my life. By focusing on God’s Word I can avoid the ropes that want to tie me down so the enemy can grab a foothold into my life. If I trust God, He will warn me of the dangers that surround me. If I allow Him to do what He does best, like vengeance, I can avoid the hurts that come with trying to accomplish it myself.

Thoughts of this episode with fade in the days to come but hopefully the lessons it contains will remain for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment