Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Stories can be Changed


National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) has come to a close with the completion of another draft to a new book which I’ve title “Getting To Know You”. It’s the third book in a saga which started with a new chapter in a woman’s life.

At the beginning of November I had a vision for a new book involving the character Dodd from season two of Fargo. This book will be more difficult to write since I’m not as familiar with the characters in my mind but that will change shortly like it has with the other characters in all of my books.

The book is actually the story of Dodd’s wife who hasn’t been mentioned in the series. I love creating my own characters then inserting them into the lives of others that I know something about.

For example, I love writing books involving the characters or cast members of Burn Notice by introducing a new character non-related to the show and making that character the primary focus. Since I can visualize the other characters it helps me to create a new character and how she could become entangled in their lives.

In my latest book, Dodd’s wife is out of the normal as far as the family is concerned. She is an “outsider” who everyone sees as being “weak.” This is typical in my stories. The main character doesn’t fit in making her very interesting and adding a new twist to the other character’s lives.

As each week has progressed through the series, I’m seeing how my original idea is fitting nicely into the plot. I’ve had to make a few tweaks as more knowledge of Dodd is shared by the series creator.

However, these new glimpses into Dodd doesn’t have to affect my book. That’s what I love about writing. I am in control and can make Dodd into anyone I choose or change any scene to my liking. I choose the end of the story and not the series creator.

In a way, we have the same ability with our lives. We choose our destiny. We choose how we see life. Two people in the same situation see the situation differently. One is miserable whereas the other is happy and content. We see that in siblings who grew up in the same environment. One goes in one direction and the other chooses a different direction. Life is just a series of choices and perceptions.

In life I allow my Creator to lead and direct my steps. However, in the background is another force that wants to be my creator who will lead me down the wrong path every time. His path seems right to a point but in the end it only brings death. Whereas, my Creator will bring me life if only I keep my mind focused on Him and His ways.

We all try to play God at different times in our lives taking us in a different direction, leading us away from the life God intended for us. We see this in Fargo. The characters are playing God and listening the voice of satan which is drawing each one to death.

In the end of my book, Dodd’s his wife will prove to be the strongest Gerhardt showing how vulnerable and weak the others were by listening to the wrong voice of reason. She will survive against all odds and triumph.

Each day we are writing the book of our life. How is yours turning out? Just like in writing, we have the power to change the direction our life is going. We have the power to see life as we choose. We can see it as the world sees it or we can see it as God sees it. God is good. Therefore, if we choose to see it and live it God’s way our life will be good. That doesn’t mean we won’t have bumps, turns, ruts and potholes but we will quickly get through them and hit solid pavement once again as we enjoy the view as we travel down the road of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment