Friday, December 11, 2015

New Year, New Beginnings

The new year is approaching. For me, December is a month of reflection and a time of setting goals for the new year.

It’s fun looking back seeing the accomplishments I made throughout the year and where I could have improved. It’s also fun setting goals and making plans for the new year. I dislike saying goodbye to the old year so making plans for the new year helps me try to look forward to what is to come.

God tells us where there is no vision the people perish. I love having a vision of the new year with goals to achieve hopefully that will improve my life and those around me.

When my life comes to an end or when I’m old, I don’t look back and see a life of watching TV, complaining, or doing the same thing day after day. I believe that wanting to make a difference or making our life meaningful is something God places inside of each of us.

I realize most of what we end up doing is meaningless other than the good we do for others and the time we spend with God. Busy time, like my mom used to say. I just hope my busy time is time that God can use to make me a better person and which is often pleasing to Him.

One of the events of the new year in which I want to participate is Burn Notice Club. The club will be starting to watch the complete series again from the beginning. With this in mind I have two options. I can continue to document throughout the week the dialog and narration and take screen caps or I can revisit my book on the life of Fi and start writing something each week that involves the time line of the episode.

At the end of NaNoWriMo I purchased writing software with more features than Word offers. I still prefer using Word but with Scrivener I can add index cards on my thoughts, motivational pictures, research material, character information and so much more without it interfering with the actual novel.

Most likely the following years will be a combination of all of the above. But with this new software I can now add index cards for ideas or memories that are triggered each week watching each episode with my dear friends.

I love writing about Fi and Burn Notice. However, my version of Fi and her life with Michael is quite different than on the show. My version of Fi starts when her parents meet, when Fi was conceived, her life when she was born, as a small child, her childhood, early adolescence, her teen years, as she became a young woman, the death of her sister, how she acquired her skills, her involvement with the IRA, how she met Michael, their adventures throughout Europe and Africa, how she came to live in New York and the time she spent there, then her arrival in Miami. My book covers the scenes not seen in the show. What her and Michael’s life was like as a couple. In my book Fi was never an ex-girlfriend. She never belonged to the IRA. She had involvement with them but not in the traditional sense. How she was used by the CIA and the cost she paid for her involvement with both groups.

My book involves the characters from White Collar, Simon Baker from the Mentalist, Matt Passmore from the Glades and many, many, more people than what we see in the show.

It includes how she met Seymour, how she became involved in gun running, where she lived. And no, it’s not as glamorous as depicted in the show. I put her though many trials and tribulations along the way.

In my book of Fi, Michael isn’t the only hero. Fi is a hero as well.

Fi is softer than the Fi in the show. She doesn’t go around hitting Michael, yelling or storming out leaving him. She is loving, supportive, and sacrificing her wants for his with the consequences that result.

She is funny, and always surprising Michael. He thinks he knows her but he only knows what the CIA has told him about her which isn’t the truth. The CIA hid the truth from him making her a mystery that he gets a glimpse of every now and then often leaving him and Sam speechless.

As with all of my books, God plays an intricate part in the life of the main character. With my book on Fi, God’s involvement is the major factor as to why she and Michael met. A divine union of two drastically different individuals brought together to complete each other.

God also uses Burn Notice to speak to me; to make me grow in the knowledge of Him, to understand life, and to be hopefully a blessing to others.

The following is an excerpt from the beginning of the story of how Fi came to Miami...
Chapter 1: Leaving New York

“Irish, you’re packing.” the dark haired, physically fit man in his thirties said after opening the apartment door instantly seeing what he had been dreading. He took off his black leather jacket tossing it on the couch by the door. He had seen this same image in his mind for the past few weeks but had been hoping it wouldn’t come true.

Neal had called her Irish since the first day they met on the sidewalks of New York as Fi contemplated robbing the First National Bank of New York to survive. After hearing part of her story he decided not to call her by her given name but rather ‘Irish’ because of her nationality and thick accent. For some reason that name seemed to fit her better than ‘Fi’.

Now, I have to finalize my decision about Burn Notice Club as I continual to define my goals for 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment