Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Boomerang


Choose your words carefully since they are returned to you, either to convict you or to bless you.

I saw a tweet this morning that said “Why are there so many stupid people in this world?” What a foolish question to ask. We are all ignorant about something. This came from someone who often says ignorant things. Don’t we all?

Hasn’t that happened to you? I know it has happened to me. I have criticized someone only to do the same thing myself in the future or be reminded later that I had done the exact same thing in my past. It’s like it turns into a self-fulfilling prophesy. In fact, the words we speak are prophesies about our future.

I’m beginning to understand how important our words are. I’ve known since I was very young that the words we speak are important but each day I’m understanding it more and more. I have enough years behind me to confirm how important our thoughts and words are.

Words are like seeds. What we plant is what we will reap. I think God gave me a good Gibbs head slap a few years ago and I’m finally waking up realizing how important every single word that I release from my mouth is. Even our thoughts are extremely powerful. They can be life changing or deadly.

No wonder the Lord said to say few words.

Ecclesiastes 5:2
Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth; Therefore let your words be few.

Ecclesiastes 5:3b
And a fool's voice is known by his many words.

We will give an account of every idle (careless; useless) word we’ve ever spoken in the day of judgment.

Matthew 12:36-37
“But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

I don’t know about you but I haven’t had to wait until the day of judgment since I am constantly being convicted by my useless idle words.

Our words speak what is in our heart. What we think about the most will rise to the surface and escape our mouth and convict us about what we really think.

I know this person who says things that insults all of her friends and she doesn’t even realize it. She even insults herself since she is the same person she is always irritated about. Haven't we all done this at some point in our life?

Sometimes we need to just step back and listen and evaluate what we are saying. Do we like the sound of us? Would we like to hear that all the time?

The Bible is a wealth of information for successfully navigating this world. It blows me away constantly with the wisdom it holds and the answer to the things we face each and every day.

The bottom line is: Only release the words that you want to be returned to you. Never release words that you don’t want in your life. This is a valuable lesson to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment