Saturday, March 23, 2013

An Answered Prayer

When I was young my oldest brother would often take the brother closest to my age and me to the Saturday matinee at the local movie theatre or invite us to his home to see Disney, children’s movies or sometimes TV shows with two of his sons, my nephews, one who is older than me and another one who is slightly younger than me.

I remember watching Don Knotts' movies and laughing so hard snuggled next to my brother. When I became an adult if I had the opportunity I watched them again, movies such as The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and The Apple Dumpling Gang and TV shows like the The Andy Griffith Show remembering the wonderful times I had with my brother. They always lifted my spirits if only just for a few hours.

One day I had the overwhelming desire to thank Mr. Knotts for the joy he brought into my life. Not only for the fun times watching his movies but also for the wonderful times I spent with my brother who was an adult living outside of the family home when I was born. Often young siblings never become close to their brothers or sisters that are much older than they are. In a small way Mr. Knotts added to the closeness I have with my brother still today.

Over and over again I had those thoughts of personally thanking Mr. Knotts but never knew how I could do that. I didn’t know where to find his address but also realized that he might have someone answering his correspondence for him and that he would never actually get my letter(s) of appreciation.

After hearing of his death I not only grieved for the loss of such a funny man who delighted so many people, including children, with his talents and gifts but also that I never told him how much I appreciated him for enriching my life.

Then Jeffrey Donovan came into my world during a time when I needed someone like him to be there. He brought a change to my life that I needed more than I even realized at the time that impacted my life then, now and will in the future. Even though we’ve never met or ever will, he has changed my life and enhanced it more than he will ever know.

As with most ardent fans I started finding out more about him then discovered he was on twitter. I started visiting twitter long before I actually signed up. I sat observing for some time before sending out my first tweet. Then one day I got the nerve to send Jeff a tweet. I was so nervous and frightened I would sound like a fool and embarrass myself by saying something wrong or silly.

I soon discovered that twitter was the answer to those prayers and wishes I had so long ago for Don Knotts. It was my avenue for thanking those who have enriched my life that I can never thank in person or through a letter that may never reach them.

Because of Jeff I have become a kinder more gentle person and more thankful than ever before for the small things in my life that I often took for granted. Because of this it has opened my heart and mind to new ideas to improve my life.

Not long ago I heard that I had the choice to be a curse or a blessing. I have decided to be the blessing and show my appreciation for the people who have come into my life.

I want to be the person that Jeff would want to be with. He like everyone else would prefer being around someone who is happy, positive, and without a chip on their shoulder.

So dear reader you have a choice; be a blessing or be a curse. I hope you choose to be the blessing in someone’s life whether you think they deserve it not.

Having a grateful heart brings such peace and happiness. I can’t imagine living without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment