Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Trip to the Farmers Market


Most cities, large and small, have a Farmers Market. They are open on various days and times each week during the summer months. You would think that the vendors are farmers but not necessarily so. The vendors are normally from within the community or from a nearby community where they bring items to sell. These items can be produce, finished goods such as jam, jelly, or bake goods and other homemade items. The food items can be from a farm or they just can be from a large backyard garden.

Some Farmers Markets are huge and others very small. For example, Eastern Market, in downtown Detroit has been around since 1891. It's open one day a week, Saturday from 5am to 5pm, all year long. 40,000 people visit the market every week which consists of over 250 vendors. It’s huge. In the spring they sell flowers and vegetable plants for your garden to start your summer. In late summer large quantity of fruits and vegetables can be purchased by the bushel to can or freeze. Others Farmers Markets can be quite small, with only six to ten vendors. Either way, they are often fun to attend.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to visit the Farmers Market in a nearby town. Since living in the community I haven’t attended one locally. I have on vacation and enjoyed the fresh produce which is far superior to what is found in a grocery store and even a local produce market. In our community some produce markets purchase their produce from Detroit’s Eastern Market which I prefer.

I live somewhat in the country near 4 cities of various sizes, all of which have a Farmers Market. One is to the north, one is to the west, one is to the east and one is to the south. The one to the east is the home of a major university. All of the cities are different sizes and each offer different types of stores. I decided I needed to visit the Farmers Market since the local vegetable stand has disappeared and we miss the fresh corn, tomatoes and other items they sold.

Now I had to choose which one to attend. I decided to go to this quaint Village instead of the larger city mainly since it was Tuesday and they were open on Tuesday. The one in the city wasn’t open until Wednesday and parking is difficult.

So off I went, camera in hand to purchase vegetables, take pictures and write this blog.

The Village has built a permanent place for the Farmers Market. It has a roof to provide shelter in the event of rain, shade from the hot summer days, and has its own parking.

I arrived only to find a handful of vendors or maybe a handful and a fingers worth. I was surprised how small it was. All of the ones I had previously attended were much larger and each vendor had a lot of food items. There was only one vendor that had food as I expected, but still not the variety. But then we have had a severe drought this summer which could account for the lack of vendors, available items, and quantity.


I took some pictures and bought a small amount of produce to try at home for my family. If it was tasty I would return on Saturday to purchase more.

The food was delicious. I had only purchased tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and watermelon. The watermelon was perfectly ripe. It thumped when tapped and was dark pink inside. The best we’ve had in years. It was one of the seedless types that are quite small. Each kernel of the corn was perfectly formed without worms and the tomatoes didn’t need to be set out for a couple of days to ripen.

Because of various events and distractions I didn’t return that Saturday or the next week.

Yesterday I wanted to revisit that same vendor but knew she wouldn’t be at the same Farmers Market. On Saturdays she attended another one further way.

Saturdays are hard for me to go anywhere except our local supermarket since I have to be home at 10am to watch Burn Notice. I was told the market opened at 7am and closed at noon. I had planned to be there at 7am to give me plenty of time to be home by 10 but was disappointed since I knew there might not be enough time to visit the city and take photos. But as luck had it I overslept so was unable to arrive by 7am, I would have to wait until after Burn Notice aired to leave.

I love the city where she was going to be. It is much nicer than the large university city closer to where I live. The shops are wonderful as well as the people. The university city naturally appeals to students whereas the other city appeals more to non-students. I love the small boutiques, antique shops and the variety of goods offered. The shopping areas are about the same in size. This city has ample free parking whereas close parking in the university city is sparse and metered causing constant monitoring of the time distracting from the enjoyment of visiting the city.

As soon as Burn Notice was over I quickly gathered my things and left. Unfortunately I wasn’t as ready for my trip as I thought so I didn’t leave exactly at 11am. I stopped at McDonalds to get an iced tea for the short trip which also took up time. By the time I reached the Farmers Market they were getting ready to pack up for the week.

I was told there were 30 vendors at this market, but it seemed much smaller. Even though this was a much larger city than the last one, it didn't have a permanent structure for the vendors. Each vendor had to put up a canopy for their stand.

I quickly made my way through each vendor stopping at one which turned out to very unfriendly and more concerned about closing then selling any of the remaining produce. Why I thought would they rather take it home and have it rot then take the additional time to sell it to us? I wasn’t the only one interested in their goods. They had a small pint size container of potatoes. I asked how much and she told me $3.00. Can you believe that? I can get 10 pounds of potatoes on sale for $3.49. I couldn’t see how hers could be that much better for just a faction of the amount. Regretful to say I bought tomatoes from her which tasted rotten and partially spoiled our dinner.

I found the vendor from the first Farmers Market. She is very friendly and her prices are very reasonable. She probably could charge more, especially since she is the busiest with the largest quantity and the best produce. Her cantaloupes are huge, the size of a seedless watermelon. Since I didn't park close to the market I decided I could only carry one of them, so chose the watermelon hoping it would be as wonderful as the last one. She had someone helping her, which could have been her husband or older son. The one he chose wasn’t to my liking but I took it anyways. It didn’t look ripe enough from the outside. I prefer the outside darker green than this one appeared. I also purchased more sweet corn, which was delicious.

Once I put the items in the car, I moved the car closer to Main Street to take my walk and capture photos, not planning on doing any further shopping. The Purple Rose Theatre Company was on my list of pictures to take. This city is the hometown of Jeff Daniels who started the Theatre. He has since moved back to the area and is in the city quite often.

In my hurry to leave for the Farmers Market I failed to visit the bathroom before I left and the iced tea felt so soothing I drank more than I anticipated. I don’t know about you, but iced tea flows right through me.

At the first corner I turned right and ventured down the sidewalk. I found a wonderful shop that had a white t-shirt from Pure Michigan that I wanted to check out. It is late summer and of course the display one was the only white one they had and I wanted white. The shop was wonderful and I resisted buying anything.


I continued my journey taking photos until I reached the next street and turned right again because there was sign on the corner that gave direction to various stores and one said Bookstore. There was a wonderful shop owner outside her store which turned out to be the bookstore called Just Imagine. She sold children’s toys, books for both adults and children plus other items. She was so friendly.

I don’t know if it happens to you, but strangers, not necessarily shop owners, always seem to want to stop and talk to me. It might be since I always have a smile on my face completely enjoying the experience or I remind them of someone they know.

She just started a conversation about this small kitten they had in the store. It liked to lie in the windows. She pointed towards two towels that she had placed in the windows for the kitten to lie on and explained how she had to rearrange the display to make room for the kitten. I love cats. We don’t have one, but I love them just the same. Of course, I had to go in and see the kitten. I had planned to only view the store from the outside because I cannot resist books. If I enter a bookstore I leave with a bag, it’s a given.

The kitten of course was adorable. A tortoiseshell several months old with deformed front paws which didn’t interfere with her ability to walk. She just had extra toes; the lady said she had double paws. I wanted to take a photo of her, but as kittens do she only showed me her back side and not her cute face and refused to stand still. The kitten had been found on Main Street and rescued from possible death and now had a wonderful, friendly new home.

The shop owner showed me where the books were located and I ventured to check them out. She immediately pointed to a section that always has my interest. It was on Michigan. My eyes went directly to a book on Wildflowers. This summer I have been driving the back roads every now and then to take pictures of the wildflowers that grow along the edge. As the summer has progressed so has the variety of wildflowers, each one blooming at a different time. I used to think they were weeds. In fact that’s what I called them. But technically they are wildflowers. She had a book on Michigan Wildflowers. Now I could put a name to my pictures. I tried doing so from the internet but wasn’t always successful. So I took that one, plus two more on nature within our state.

I checked out the games, children’s books and toys. After selected all of my items I checked out. Then I recalled BH had mentioned recently that he wished he still had his old Rubik’s cube from when he was younger so I asked if they had one. Of course, they had only one left so I purchased that for him.

As I left the store promising to email them a picture of the kitten if it turned out, I had to laugh. The Rubik’s cube would be my revenge for BH working and leaving me alone. The frustration that simple little toy would bring would be satisfying.


I turned around and made my way back towards Main Street and turned right again. I found a wonderful ally on the other side of an area where I love taking photos. The building on Main Street is very old and at the back was another building just as old. It had electrical pole and wiring that dated probably from at least the 1930's. I took some pictures hoping one would look okay. But this building is painted a color that isn’t very attractive. 

I made my way out of the ally and turned right again and walked a short way to take a picture of the Jiffy Mix plant, aka Chelsea Milling Company, which is a family-owned business who has been milling flour for over one hundred years. It is a large white structure with multiple buildings.

Then I turned around and made my way back up the street, turned right again and crossed at the first corner and walked down that street. 


Of course, there were more wonderful shops to visit. Bumble's Dry Goods where I purchased some items for the kitchen. A cute ceramic container for holding a kitchen sponge and a matching ceramic piece for separating eggs, both of which will undoubtedly be stored on shelves in the kitchen that hold my recipes books and other kitchen related collectibles. The Potting Shed which had an outdoor section selling plants and inside where there were unique items including a wall of various clocks.

Apparently on Saturday everyone comes into town to shop because of that it was extremely difficult getting around each of the last two stores to examine what they offered. Thankfully I had forgotten to visit the bathroom and needed to leave promptly promising myself to come back during the week and continue my adventure. I don't care for shopping in stores where it's impossible to move and look around.

It was a wonderful day. BH loved his toy. The watermelon wasn’t very good since it wasn’t allowed to ripen fully on the vine but maybe the next one will be better. At least it wasn't any worse than one I would have purchased from the supermarket.

So now I’ve visited two Farmers Markets and two cities. They were both wonderful adventures that I would enjoy repeating.

I never found the Purple Rose Theatre Company but later discovered I had parked right in front of it when visiting the Farmers Market. I will return and take a picture. Hopefully when I do, Jeff Daniels will be there so I can meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment