Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Something Wonderful is Going to Happen to Me Today


This is what Joyce Meyer tells herself every morning so a couple of years ago I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that something wonderful happens each time I profess it aloud, most often within the half hour.

Sometimes the "wonderful" is an event or something physical. Other times, it is a prayer answered, or the realization of a blessing received and not noticed, or a prayer answered that you thought wasn't, or to experience a feeling of love inside that is so powerful that it wants to explode. This is why it is so exciting wondering what the "wonderful" will be that day. It surprises you each time it happens.

Yesterday, I said it aloud again in the morning and kept waiting all day long for the “wonderful” to appear. Granted, blessing upon blessing happened but no “wow” moments like I’m accustomed to when saying this phrase. I must admit that I’m sure God answered that request almost immediately but my mind was focused on something else and didn’t realize it.

Last night in the darkened bedroom as I was waiting to drift off to sleep speaking to the Lord, I was overcome by the realization that God has given me the desires of my heart and all I had to do was to delight myself in the Lord. I practically cried myself to sleep, not from sorrow but from happiness. That was my “wow” moment.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the LORD,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

When we get so caught up in earthly desires we fail to experience the best things in life. The things that bring true happiness... the things that bring everlasting happiness... the happiness that the cares of this world cannot destroy or take away.

For over two years now I have drenched myself in the Word of God. I have listened to hundreds and hundreds of Christian messages from a half dozen or so Bible teachers that God has brought into my life in the pursuit of happiness.

I just wanted to be happy. Isn’t that what we all desire?

We are constantly on the search for happiness instead of going to the source of all happiness… the Lord.

The world will tell you differently but I’m here to ask you… have you found it out in the world? In worldly possessions... in worldly pursuits... in worldly beliefs? I don’t think so. You can find happiness there but without God being in the center of it, the happiness you experience will only be temporary. Then you will be off pursuing something else. Searching and searching for something you will never find. Happiness is internal, not in external things.

True happiness is when you understand how this world operates and conform to it. The only way to do that is to go to the Creator. He created this earth for us to enjoy but there are laws that govern how it operates. If we don’t know those laws they bring death or unhappiness. Just like the law of gravity. When we cooperate with it, we can use it to our advantage. When we don’t believe in it or disregard it, then it will kill us or hurt us.

There are also truths that you will only find in God's Word. Once you understand these truths you know why things are the way they are.

This morning I was faced with my last tweet from last night.

Psalm 119:50b
Your word has given me life.

God’s Word has given me life, the life I always have desired. God has given me the desires of my heart and continues to each and every day.

All it took was me to surrender my life to Him and meditate on His Word. It was the best decision I have ever made. And it is available to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment